Thursday, June 27, 2013

Summer reading assignment

I was reconfiguring my News Editing and Copy Reading course for next fall when I rediscovered a piece from news designer Alan Jacobson that I think everyone on The Orion should read.

Jacobson is the guy who redesigned the Bakersfield Californian (and a dozen other papers) several years ago. His firm is Brass Tacks Design, and its website is filled with stunning, often radical, design ideas.

The piece I'd like Orionites to read is titled "How to Sell More Newspapers." While The Orion doesn't try to sell papers at all (it's distributed free, of course), its goal is to serve readers, which is really what Jacobson's treatise is about. Here's the link.

I'd like to hear your impressions and comments. Add 'em below.

No comments:

Post a Comment