Thursday, December 1, 2016
November numbers trend upward
Traffic at theorion.com recovered nicely last month, with page views topping 48,600 and pages per session climbing to 2.62. Those numbers are even better than they seem because, as the chart above shows, website visits fall dramatically when Chico State is on a break. That means traffic was down a full week and the monthly traffic still improved from the month before.
Three stories accounted for 12.5 percent of the November traffic:
• The death of freshman Jack Callaway
• A sports column about racism in NFL team names
• An opinion piece about exploding Samsung 7s
The other top stories were:
• A sports column advocating pay for college athletes
• A news story about undocumented students being urged to return to the U.S.
The Thanksgiving-break traffic dip isn't surprising. A look at analytics for the past 12 months shows how important school being in session is to paper.
The middle of summer is by far the slowest time for the website.
One other interesting thing about the chart is the slump in October. It's worth a closer look at the numbers to see what was behind it.