Friday, February 2, 2018

January traffic shows importance of social media

Traffic for thorion.com January 2017 and January 2018 (click to see a larger image)
The beginning of a semester is typically a slow time for traffic at theorion.com, so the low numbers for the past two weeks aren't a surprise. A close look at the Google analytics does provide an insight into how important social media is to a the website.

I set up a traffic comparison between January 2017 and last January 2018. That's the graph at the top of this post.

Why the difference? Well, the flow of news is different from day to day and week to week, but my impression is that this semester started out really well on the news side. I thought that would show up in the traffic numbers. Also, news reporters and editors had tweeted up a storm as they covered a women's march and two political events, so I expected a bigger audience.

What I found when I dug deeper into the analytics was the opposite. And while there are other factors at work, I think I also found the reason for the slower traffic.

Social media acquisition comparison, January 2017-January 2018 (click to see a larger image)
Traffic driven by the tweets was responsible for driving more readers to theorion.com last month (a 158 percent increase), but a poor effort on Facebook more than matched it and was responsible for 76 percent decline in Facebook referrals -- that's more than 1,100 fewer visitors! Referrals from Google search and visits from people who typed in "theorion.com," were about the same in the two months, so this turned out to be an almost perfect experiment in the importance of social media.

Mobile app downloads and traffic for January 2018 (click to see a larger image)
The numbers for The Orion's mobile app were comparable. One bit of good news: Downloads made a big jump during the first week of classes. I'm going to guess that's because staff members at the first critique of the semester added the app to their smartphones.

Here are the most-read stories from the first two weeks of the semester. Note that eight of the 10 were written by reporters or editors from the two news sections.

1. Chico State sisters die in fatal car crash - 445 pageviews
2. Gas tax proposal endorsed by local representatives fuels unrest in Chico - 408
3. Commercial cannabis legal in California yet still banned in Chico - 211
4. Memorial planned for Frace sisters - 207
5. Michael Bethea: a journey - 201
6. LaMalfa speaks against gas tax, attacks protesters - 157
7. Congressional candidates speak out at town hall - 145
8. Domestic dispute leads to lockdown of two local schools - 121
9. Wildcat of the Week - Claire Wayne - 119
10. New director of Gateway Science Museum - 118

Here are the basic traffic numbers for Jan. 21-Feb. 1.

From Google Analytics. Click to see a larger image

5 comments:

  1. I think that I'm into your pieces of writing. They really help me out. I wait for your posts every week. I learn many new interesting things from the articles. The information is essential for me. I want to thank you for sharing. Create Discount master , Product discount app, Autoketing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best!
    currency converter box app
    https://autoketing.com
    currency converter box online

    ReplyDelete

  3. food games free
    basketball games
    soccer games online
    I really thank you for the valuable info on this great subject and look forward to more great posts. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty article with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great article. Good luck to the author! All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2player best free online games
    friv Games to play
    io jogos for school
    I concede, I have not been on this website page in quite a while... in any case it was another delight to see It is such an essential point and overlooked by such a variety of, even experts. experts. I thank you to help making individuals more mindful of conceivable issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantabulous observe this has been. in no way seen this understandable of beneficial claim. i'm grateful to you and assume more quantity of posts at the side of those. thank you intensely a lot.
    miniclip 2019,
    play free a10 game,
    Friv Jogos

    ReplyDelete